Monday, July 20, 2009

Potty Training Milestone

Herbert needs to be potty trained. 

We take him out of his cage for feeding, and he started to make a habit of pooing on the floor before walking back to his cage. I don't blame him, I wouldn't poo where I sleep  either!

In his cage Herbert ALWAYS poos in his big water dish, so theory was : If we have that dish out on the floor while we feed him, he will poo in there instead of on our floor.

After he finished eating the other day, we kept showing him his water bowl, picking him up and putting him in it or by it, then we left him alone for a few minutes and he waddled around and.....started to poo on the floor. 

Greg picked him up just before he started and put him in the dish.

He started it in the dish, walked out and ended it on the floor about a foot away from the water. 

"Screw you guys I'll crap where I want!"

Today we tried again, same deal, we showed him his dish, he got out, waddled around, then went back into the water and relieved himself! He got lots of positive vocal affirmations and a super-worm for his efforts. 

I'm not getting my hopes TOO high. Today may have been a fluke, but it is totally a step in the right direction. 

Bottom line, Herbert is going to do what he wants and when he feels its right, but I like to think that deep down he knows we don't want his poo where we sleep either.

No comments:

Post a Comment